Thursday, May 16, 2013

Awake my soul

There is a healthy craving to be had; a desire for nourishment to the soul.
Apart from God my taste buds dead; their pleasure in the foul.

One satisfying addiction exists to quench my thirsty heart;
of all that looks and feels and smells, faith grasps beyond its realm.

A safe obsession to hold my gaze, no danger in His care;
for He causes all things to work in harmony for my good.

Now good may seem a far-off thought when doubts and pains arise;
but the good He brings is good because He makes me like His Son.

Change this heart of stone, I cried; turn it into fleshy clay.
He heard and listened and came and bought and redeemed and restored and won.

One spark can hold a match to my eternal flame; the deepest longings of my soul fanned by His great Name.
Everywhere I try to look for fuel to satisfy; He gently prods the embers of grief to remind me of His love.

He can handle what I desire and all that I can fathom; He is a cistern that never runs dry despite my constant yearning.
To find the only true desire and feel the joy of abandon; there my soul feels the freedom it was made to encounter.

Oh joy of man's desiring, I find my rest in thee; and treasure every longing sense that begs me to return.
For in the moments of despair, then I know you're here; not to tempt and taunt and hurt, but awaken my heart to glory.

2 comments:

  1. Did you write this? It's beautiful. Kind of reminds me of the poem "Hound of Heaven."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mallory! Yes I wrote it. I am definitely no poet but enjoyed writing this. Only when I feel directly inspired by the Spirit am I able to write anything at all. I definitely take no credit myself. He is the Creative One:)

    ReplyDelete