Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Parent who never gets tired

My son has some issues. They are not severe or even mentionable if you consider the spectrum of things that other parents live with in their children, but they are issues nonetheless.  And I've grown tired of the battle.  In the moment when I feel like despairing, I hear the echo of clinging truth whispered to my soul:
My Father doesn't get tired of my issues; He doesn't get annoyed when I fail in the same way for the hundredth time; He isn't rolling His eyes when I call His name from the other room; He doesn't wish for a moment's peace from my problems that interrupt His schedule.
He loves.  He entreats. He bears with me and forgives. He endures my short comings.  He runs to me and celebrates my victories, never harping on my failures or allowing them to make me less desirable in His eyes.
When I consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful man for my sake (Heb. 12:3), He gives me motivation and strength to keep going with my children, to keep trying to do good without growing weary.  My struggles begin to feel light and momentary (2 Cor. 4:17-18).  The eternal weight of glory becomes fixed in my eyes and the reality of my Prize comes bearing down on my heart and I am suddenly lifted.  My own strength and motivation to do good fail so fast, but God is strength of my heart and my portion forever (Ps. 73:26).

1 comment: