Sunday, June 16, 2013

To the dads

Today is Father's Day and I'm thinking about the dads in my life this morning:  my own dad, Bryan Russell, my husband who is a wonderful dad to our kids, my father-in-law, Phillip Sheppard, and my grandfather, Bud Arnold.  

I knew my Dad loved me from the time I was born.  I've always known it and never doubted it.  But now that I have my own kids, I realize even more how amazingly natural and easy it is for Dads to love their own kids and how one word seems to encapsulate what it is to be a loving Father:  SACRIFICE.  Dads who love their kids willingly SACRIFICE their own selves for their kids' sakes. This doesn't mean that the sacrifices dads make are easy, but that they will sacrifice for their kids when they would never make the same sacrifice for anyone else. This also doesn't mean that all dads naturally and easily and sacrificially love their children, but that this is how it should be and how it is when things are "right."

For some people, it may be more difficult to really know and feel this concept, those who are not blessed to have an earthly father who has willingly sacrificed and shown love even when it was, perhaps, a strain: it may be more difficult for some to actively believe and accept that this is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God (1 John 3:1). In fact, it may be a stretch to grasp that this is how we KNOW that we are His children, that He already proved His own love for us by sending His only Son.

The hope I have today and forever comes from a Father who is not strained or burdened or annoyed or bothered or required to show me lavish love but, rather, he delights to pour His love out on me!

It is a WILLING love.
"In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4:10 ESV)

It is a GENEROUS love.
"He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" (Romans 8:32 ESV)

It is a NON-RELUCTANT love.
"What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31 ESV)

So we know that God sending His own Son is how we FEEL loved by God. When we believe this and let this understanding penetrate to the depths of our hearts, leaking into every nook and crevice, this love totally transforms us leading to a joyful, child-like acceptance(faith) of this most precious gift we could ever receive(grace).

This is why I am most grateful for the Dads in my life today. I am thankful that they are image-bearers of the only perfect Father, passing on His love from one generation to the next. I am thankful that they have pointed me and my kids, both through their strength and weaknesses, to the True Source of fatherly love. I am thankful that they know Him and are looking to Him for guidance.

Thank you, Dads. The most precious gift you could ever give me has been received joyfully in my heart...there are two more at my house who need you, though:) Keep on keeping on, we are counting on you and are here to support and encourage you along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment